Sunday 3 February 2013

Lighting Tests

I did a couple lighting tests for Kelpies last year but they were pretty bad (and quite frankly terrifying), so I gave it another shot. I can't remember how I did these exactly but I basically just mucked about overlay and multiply etc.





Lighting is something I'm pretty interested in, as it can completely change the tone of a scene. This is one of the interior scenes, where Murdo is sitting next to the fire. There isn't much other light in the room, so the firelight would be pretty intense on one side of his face. The second one is too red, it looks a little like light in film processing dark rooms, and I think the first is a bit too soft. The third one is probably closest to where we'll go with it, but it's maybe a little too dark on his hair. I also haven't given his eyes any highlights.


I also did a very quick test with the lighting on all three 'types' of Murdo (exterior daytime, interior and exterior storm). The lighting and shadows definitely add a lot more to the character, and I think it would help blend the 2D and the 3D together, but realistically I'm not sure if we have the time to do traditional lighting effects with every scene, since it takes a lot of time and we're behind schedule already..


No comments:

Post a Comment